ENGLISH  |  ESPAÑOL

HISTORY AND LEGEND

Crusoe Island Lodge

 

History of Robinson Crusoe Island

 

Robinson Crusoe Island born of volcanic explosions, which later gave birth to the Juan Fernández Islands, ie, Alejandro Selkirk and Santa Clara.

The islands was discovered by Spanish sailor Juan Fernández, probably between 1563 and 1574. Officially given as the date of its discovery on 22 November 1574. In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries was used as a hideout for pirates and privateers such as John Cook, John Eaton, Edward Davis and Bartholomew Sharp.

 

In 1749 was built by the Santa Barbara Spanish Fort on the island Más a Tierra (Robinson Crusoe), as protection against pirates and privateers. It was rebuilt in 1974 and declared a historical monument in 1979. At the time he was protected by 6 forts with artillery. In 1832, the islands was visited by Claudio Gay


In 1915, during the First World War, the German cruiser SMS Dresden was demolished by its own crew in Cumberland Bay, after hiding for months in the fjord Quintupeu and being chased and attacked by British ships HMS Orama, HMS Glasgow HMS Kent. It was declared a historical monument in 1985. Is sunk to 65 feet deep. In the cemetery of San Juan Bautista are buried the remains of some members of his crew. The most famous of his crew was Lieutenant Wilhelm Canaris, who would be Chief of the Counterintelligence German (Abwehr), the Second World War.


In 1935 the three main islands of the islands was declared a National Park Juan Fernández islands with an area of approximately 9,967 hectares in 1977 and declared a World Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO.

 

In 2005 the island of Juan Fernandez was international news because of the announcement that the TR GPR robot spider Arturito christened by the press, would have found the treasure of Juan Fernandez, supposedly buried around 1715 by Spanish navigator Juan Esteban Ubilla and Echeverria, and then disinterred and reburied by British sailor Cornelius Webb, and that would be about 600 barrels of gold coins, worth about $ 10 billion


In 1708 he was rescued the Scotsman Alexander Selkirk, after living on the island four years, which led to Daniel Defoe to write the play "The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe."

The treasure, if found, would contain among other things, twelve papal ring, the Key to the Western Wall, one of the most famous jewels in history, known as the Rose of the Winds, and even that would also be part the treasures of the Inca Empire, so the legend goes that there would be buried collar woman Atahualpa.

 

 


 

subir

 

The Legend of Robinson Crusoe

 

The existence of Alexander Selkirk on Juan Fernandez is shrouded in mystery, solitude and silence that had voluntarily chosen the best years of your life to live their hours of a hermit. Selkirk himself said that his first impression when he saw the boat away leaving him alone on that island, panicked and screamed for the rowers to come back for him, but it was too late.


At first, I felt a melancholy incurable, and instead of worrying about food, spending his days on the hill is now called "El Mirador de Selkirk." Solitaire contemplated the wide and vast ocean, infinite and eternally silent, except at times of storm.


The abandoned, which was chosen by free will that house, was formed with its purpose and the needs of your new life and spirit are comforted in reading the Bible.

 

Selkirk built two huts in the forest of sandalwood, covering them with rattan and covered with goat skin. One she used to sleep, singing psalms and praying, while cooking in the smallest. The sailor was a hunter, and when exhausted their meager supplies, the agile goat chasing the race. Due to the continued exercise was so fast, that ran through the woods and hills with incredible speed.


One day, his agility saved his life. Chased a goat, catching on the edge of a cliff, when they threw wind, running from top to bottom with their prey. He lost consciousness and regained consciousness, he found the goat dead under him. Suffered the blow, had to crawl to his cabin, where he arrived after ten days.

 

Scottish sailor killed about five hundred goats and scored another in the ear, according to their own accounts. Selkirk's feet, accustomed to a cliff, had hardened so that long after his return to civilized life, refused to wear shoes.

 

According to the inventiveness of Robinson, who is a true copy of the natural, Selkirk domesticated goats for their milk, teaching, along with the cats, a thousand moves, singing and dancing, which was served with a pleasant pastime.


The occupied the hours left to record your name in the trees, with the date of his exile, but strange fact, its greatest isolation precautions were taken against the ships that were to disturb the solitude.


Every time I could see a Hispanic ship toward the island, ran to hide in the thickest of the forest. During their stay they spent several of its shore, and just landed, the Spanish were chasing him with bullets. Selkirk was saved trees climbing to a cod. The long hours for soldiers roamed around and killed many goats on his frightened eyes.

 

The Scottish sailor - preferring exposed to die on that island, which fall into the hands of the Spanish, who have killed or sentenced to forced labor in captivity, in the belief that, by their knowledge of the sites, could help English freebooters to reach the South Sea.


Selkirk spent in this way the summer of 1704 and the years 1705, 1706, 1707 and 1708. He wore a curious almanac, written with his ax in the tree bark. Four years and four months of solitude, when one morning, south to its steep sea observatory, saw on the distant horizon, a ship that came from the South.

 

At the end of 1708 doubled the Horn, a new British expedition to the January 31, 1709 was the sight of the island of Juan Fernandez. Some traders had been organized in Bristol under the command of Captain Woodes Rogers, still little known ocean. Pilot of the expedition was appointed the celebrated William Dampier. In Juan Fernandez, a light spot near the beach, thought they had found the French ships which were fighting against, or that the Spanish had highlighted some garrison on the island.


Saving the expedition was composed of two ships: EI "Duke" and "La Duchesse" and came as second sailor Eduard Cook.

 

Shortly after the boat returned with a man dressed in goat skin, which seemed more wild animals.

Alexander Selkirk was brought on board with resistance on their part, they did not want to meet some old acquaintances. Only when he promised that it refunded to the island if requested, agreed to leave that rock.

 

Determined to take his former position as foreman with the gentlemanly Woodes Rogers, Selkirk celebrated his countrymen, giving them tasty roasted ate with delight, inviting them to his hut. On February 14 of that year, left The Duke and La Duchesse of Juan Fernández, and in her solo deck sorry, who was last farewell to his beloved skyline as the ship moved away from the island.

 

 

subir

 

 

 

CRUSOE ISLAND, HISTORY AND LEGEND

 

HISTORY OF THE ISLAND

 

THE LEGEND OF ROBINSON
CRUSOE

Visit us

Home

Hotel

Activities

Spa

Guestbook

Press

Map

Google map

Rates

Reservations

Cancellation Policy

Contact us

Crusoe Island Lodge

Telephone: (56 -22) 946 1636

E-mail: reservas@crusoeislandlodge.com

 

Ir al sitio en español.

 

Noi Hotels Noi Vitacura, Noi Hotels Casa Atacama, Noi Hotels Puma Lodge, Noi Hotels
By Data Logica